Since our kids are coming for Christmas and were not here for Thanksgiving, I found myself with some quiet time today. Normally on the day after Thanksgiving, I would have a houseful of people and a full day planned; today, not so much.
So, I decided to do something that I'd planned to do over the summer but had not gotten done since both our moms passed away and I had a spinal fusion. I cleaned out the family history closet - a closet where I store all our photos, journals, and other family memorabilia.
And in doing so, I came across some photos I had not seen in a long, long time. Including some of horses I have owned and loved in the past.
I kept this one in a frame on my desk for years.
That's Amy on the left (see how much she looks like Abby?) and Cee Hunt on the right. Amy was my very first horse and will ALWAYS be my favorite. I was twelve when I got her, and she found her forever home with us. She died in 1991 at 25. This photo was take in 1978.
Here's another picture of Cee. He was a registered Quarter Horse and my show horse. He was experienced and very mild mannered.
Get him around a body of water, and he was a happy boy. He loved to swim and would leap off banks into the water. This is me swimming with him in the mid 1970s. We're in Burnett Creek in Battleground, Indiana. I also used to swim him in the Wabash River off the beach in front of our home.
Indy (Indabab's Image) was a registered half-Arab that I owned when we lived in Illinois. I never, ever wore that horse out - like a typical Arab, he always had energy to spare. But he was still a gentle, kind boy and we enjoyed many fun times together. I brought him back to Lafayette, Indiana and sold him to a friend when I was pregnant with my sixth child. I knew I would simply not have time for him after Cole's birth and wanted to see him through to a good home so I would not worry about what happened to him.
Finding photos of these wonderful horses today, those "ghosts of horses past," made me smile. And, feel very, very grateful to have had them in my life.




I love this post.
ReplyDelete<3
Thanks, Jennifer. These were wonderful horses. I am a lucky girl.
ReplyDelete