Friday, November 4, 2016

Documenting Hobby History, Part 4

(More information and things that I have stored in my hobby closet which I sent Nancy Kelly last weekend.)

In 1972, I decided to create my own club, ABMHSA. (All Breeds Model Horse Showers Association.) Lot's of folks were doing the same - we were so excited to be connected! Dues were about $2 a year (I think) and you got a newsletter every month. Again, I think.)

Professional publication was very expensive so I would use carbon paper and make four or five copies and then repeat. (Ditto machines were the method of mass producing things, not xeroxing at the time. I did not have access to a ditto machine.) People sent in pictures and articles, we held shows, and it was a lot of fun.

I ran it until 1975 when I graduated from high school and was heading to college. Someone took it over for me (Cynthia Gardner, possibly) and I have seen a later club in the hobby with the same name. I have no idea if it is the club I started or if someone else just had the same idea for a name.

I had forgotten that we rated our shows. And take a look at the fifth picture - it mentions that Hagen Renaker was no longer going to be making the DW horses!










No comments:

Post a Comment