Monday, June 12, 2017

My Ol' Kentucky Home

Visiting grandkids is always a plus. But when you have to drive through Kentucky to get to them, it's a double bonus! Kentucky is my favorite state, and this past weekend I drove through it twice.

Kentucky is adjacent to Indiana, and as soon as you cross the Ohio River, you immediately see signs that you are in horse country.
 Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby, is just west of I-65.
 There is a museum dedicated to the race that you can visit as well.
There is rolling countryside dotted with brown fences. (Occasionally they are painted white, but most are brown.)
 I love the old wooden barns that are everywhere in the state.

There is also this unusual sight.
 A gigantic T-Rex statue in the middle of nowhere? Go figure!
 Even the local geological features are related to equines.
And you often see horses being transported as you drive through the state.

Kentucky really is my kind of state, and it was such a treat to drive through it twice in two days.

(For those wondering, I will get back to the history of Rockwell, the Moyles horse, soon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment