Friday, June 9, 2017

The Making of Rockwell - the Beginning

So, how did Rockwell, Kathleen Moody's Moyle horse, come to be?

It began on August 7, 2001 when I sent out my Christmas cards. (Early or late, take your pick!) For the gals on our Yahoogroup list, Mormon Model Collectors, I included more than just the standard family photo/letter. I also enclosed a copy of the 1970 Horse and Rider magazine article on Ellen Hitchins and Simi Smiljanic's early hobby club IMPHSA (International Model Photo Horse Showers Association) and a copy of some pages from a breed book about the Moyles horse.

Message 1 of 5 , Aug 7, 2001

Hey all,
More Christmas cards going out to all of you (Melissa! I still need your
addy, please, dear! :)
Enclosed is a xerox of a 1970 article from Horse and Rider Magazine.
Reading that article is what introduced me to the formal hobby as it was
in its fledgling years (although I had been collecting since 1963 and
having live shows with my friends. We used to throw those Breyers in
grocery bags, hop on our bikes, and pedal to each other's homes for
shows. Bel;ieve it or not, my glossy charcoal Mustang survived unscathed.
:) Thought you all might like one for your files.
Then, I've enclosed an article about Moyles Horses. A few years ago on
Haynet, Lesli Kathman brought up the "horned Mormon horses" that had been
imported by Brigham Young and Porter Rockwell. I went "Huh??" as did
Kathleen (which is how I found out she was LDS. :) I emailed Lesli and
asked for more information. I am enclosing a copy of that article for you
all -- it's pretty interesting, and the horses do have vestigial bumps on
their foreheads! I told Jessica and Stephanie at BreyerFest that I would
send this to them, and decided everyone else should see the article, too.
Enjoy!!

Lynn


The enclosure about the Moyles horses began a discussion among us. Cristine responded later that day.



August 7, 2001
Oh, Lynn, I am *so* enjoying Christmas in August! The articles you mention 
sound fascinating! You know, I actually worked with a sweet Christian woman 
at a local university in the music department. I wasn't LDS yet, but I was 
investigating the church. She told me in all seriousness that Mormons had 
horns. She said you could feel them if you ran your fingers through their 
hair and to beware of the men who were wearing hats to cover up the bumps 
if they had thin or no hair. I thought then that it was a little strange 
and dismissed the notion immediately. But now I look back and wonder that 
anyone could truly believe such nonsense .... which this dear lady did!

Cristine  ........... =D


We talked about the Moyles horse a bit more, and then our list chatter went back to the usual discussion of the hobby, our families, and our church activities.

Then, on August 15, 2001, Kathleen sent a stunner of an email. For some background information, Jessica, Stephanie, and I had all gone to BreyerFest together in July (what a blast that was!), and while there we picked up a few surprises for the other list members who had been unable to come. I mailed them out in August, and Kathleen had received hers. She sent us an email to thank us. 

And then, she made THE suggestion.


955You ladies are WONDERFUL!!

Expand Messages
  • Aug 15, 2001
    Great big THANKS to the group for collecting Breyerfest goodies and
    passing them along!
    I will in all likelyhood never get to Breyerfest so to be remembered
    like this really
    touched me. Thanks again!!

    You know, we can create our own Moyles horse- I need to find some GOOD
    photos of the head especially- What pose,gender, etc. would we like?
    Kathleen
I will never forget the jaw-dropping amazement I felt at her suggestion! 

The next blog entry will be our reaction and discussion on just how "our own Moyles horse" should be.


No comments:

Post a Comment