Monday, March 26, 2018

My Retirement Announcement

I handed in my resignation letter to my principal on Wednesday.

It was hard.

And seeing this cryptic note on the teachers' announcement board, knowing that the meeting was to announce my retirement, was even harder.
Linda (my principal) was in tears, and there were audible gasps of surprise from the other teachers when she told them.

I have always said that when the time came that I felt I was not at the top of my game, that I was not quite able to teach at the level my students needed, then I would step aside. I have reached that point. I am tired, my body hurts all over, and I face another surgery this summer (that will make three summers in a row.) It simply has gotten harder and harder for me to do my job.

I thought long and hard, spent time in prayer, and feel I have made the right decision. But right isn't always easy, especially when you love what you do. For me, teaching is not just a career, it is more of a calling, and I love being with kids all day, learning and laughing. There is much joy to be found among children.

It was a difficult decision, and I am quite sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment