Monday, September 3, 2018

Variations - Buckskin QH Gelding

Yesterday, thinking that it might be wise to plan ahead and see just how many variation congas I had should I wish to continue the variation theme on the blog, I walked around my shelves and counted.
Whoa. I have twenty. That's enough to make any blog reader's eyes roll up in their heads. (Unless you are really into tiny differences on models who are all the same color, it could become a little tedious if I wrote post after post about those minute, obscure differences!)
So I had to make a decision. I had already pulled out three sets to look at before counting, and since they are on the table waiting for me to examine them, I think I will go with them. Then, as time passes, maybe I will pop a variation post once or twice a week into the blog.

Since I had just done the buckskin Semi-Rearing Mustangs, I am going to look at the buckskin Quarter Horse Gelding next. The reason? One has the same speckle paint job that the first Mustang had.

(For an interesting read on muscle changes/mold variations on the QH Gelding molds, go here for an article on Breyer History Diva's blog.)

Buckskin QH Gelding #1
This is my speckle guy. I have had him six or seven years, buying him as a duplicate thinking that he might be an upgrade for the one I'd had for years. I ended up keeping both because of their differences.

 In addition to his specking, he has a beautiful gold color and shading,
 An example of the speckling in his paint.
His halter is a medium brown and there is very light (possibly faded from sunlight) pinking on his nose and eartips.
 Hoof bottoms are mostly black and the belly is a deep buckskin color, again with some evidence of speckling.
 No dorsal stripe and he does have the USA stamp.

Buckskin Quarter Horse Gelding #2
 His color is oddly similar to yesterday's second Mustang, just as today's first was similar to yesterday's.
It is a very rich color with better shading than the photos show, and he may even be a semi-glossy - there is a sheen to his coat that makes me think so.
His halter is a dark brown and his pinking in the ears and on the nose is much darker and more pronounced.
He has some tiny spots on his off side that I think must be tiny spatters from a paint gun. They are in the paint and not something that got on the piece post production.
 There is also a faint overspray on his right hip. it looks like a shadow, but it is not. It's next to the spatters; perhaps there is a connection? No dorsal stripe on this boy, either, and he also has the USA stamp.
 Off front leg and near hind leg have partial socks.
 They are more pronounced on QHG #2 than they are on #1, although #1 has the partial socks as well. (My youngest son, Cole, used to show this piece when he was little back in the 1990s. Sentimental me cannot take that old show tag off. It's now part of the model's history. The flip side has the name on it - Rotten Apple. I have no idea why!
 #1 on the left, #2 on the right. You can really see the differences in the pinking in this photo.
This photo shows the difference in the buckskin color itself. (Again, #1 on the left, #2 on the right.)

I don't think I will do another variation piece tomorrow - that's three in a row! But when I do, next up will most likely be my Old Timers, another one from my carpet herd compared to a newer one my daughter Lisa found for me while antiquing.

Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. I had one of these when I was a kid. Brings back the memories! But I'd never seen the speckling and spatters. Old Breyers can be unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be happy to show you some more, like my Man o'War, with those speckles. Curiouser and curiouser!

    ReplyDelete