Saturday, September 15, 2018

The Mamas are Here!

Last spring after finding a gold charm Running Foal and then a wedgewood Running Foal just a few weeks later, I began saving my money specifically for more decorators to add to my collection.

I really am glad I did because after decades of looking for them, I just found two more!
 My foals now have their mamas! What are the chances that I would find not one, but two, decorators in great shape that I could also afford? I could not believe my good luck! (And was I ever glad that I had been saving that money on the off chance that I would find more.)
The gold charm mare is yellowed but not tarnished. The photos don't show it, but her hooves are a very pale pink.
Her ears and nose also have some faint pinking, and she has some scratches and small rubs. Still, for a piece that is fifty-five years old, she is certainly still collectible. (Hey, I'm just a bit older than her, and I have my "scratches and rubs," too!)
 This mare takes my breath away. The photos absolutely do not do her justice. Wedgewood (sometimes spelled "wedgwood") is my favorite decorator color of all.
 She has gorgeous shading - I much prefer that to other examples of the color that are a flat, solid blue.
With just some yellowing and a stray pinpoint black mark or two, she is in near mint condition.

I was collecting during Breyer's decorator era, but like many other hobbyists at the time, I wanted real horse colors on my pieces. Aside from a woodgrain Running Foal that my father bought me when I got my braces on in sixth grade, those who gifted me with ponies followed that wish for realistic colors.

Of course, if I had gotten decorators, they would have been played with like the other members of my carpet herd, and who knows how they would have fared? My woodgrain foal, still with me, is missing an ear, and if you look at the others, you can see just how well-loved they were (and they still are.)

Although these two fell into my lap unexpectedly, they also used up the money I'd put aside and saved. Now I am starting over and building up the fund again. I do have a couple of models that I will be buying, or have bought and are being shipped, but I am going to back off of purchases for a while until I have added some more funds to my model horse savings account.

2018 has been the year of the decorator for me. I need to be ready in case that luck holds!

No comments:

Post a Comment