Saturday, November 24, 2018

"The Most Wonderful Time of the Year!"

It's the holiday season and so Abby says, "Cue the music!"

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
It's the most wonderful time of the year
With the kids jingle belling
And everyone telling you "be of good cheer"
It's the most wonderful time of the year

It's the hap-happiest season of all
With those holiday greetings
And gay happy meetings when friends come to call
It's the hap-happiest season of all

There'll be parties for hosting
Marshmallows for toasting
And caroling out in the snow
There'll be scary ghost stories
And tales of the glories
Of Christmases long, long ago


Abby would like to add a verse about candy canes because she thinks that THEY are what makes the holidays the most wonderful time of the year. 
 "I love this time of year!"
Abby's in luck; we have a candy shop that makes handmade candy canes right across the river in downtown Lafayette. McCord's has been a community staple for candy, lunches, and getting a soda from a real, old fashioned soda fountain for over 100 years.
They make handmade candy canes by the thousands and sell them across the world during the holidays.
I'm local so I can go downtown and buy them there.  
Or I can buy them at local food markets, too. There is a marked difference in taste between a McCord's candy cane and the mass marketed versions that appear during the holidays.
 I usually buy some for my children and their families. Abby gets a few, too.
Abby eats them year round so I buy boxes and boxes of them when candy canes go on sale after Christmas.
They always make her very happy. (Corinne and me with a very content Abby.)

I agree, Abby; it IS the most wonderful time of the year!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this bit(e) of history! I did not know about McCord's.

    ReplyDelete