Her buckskin color is very like Breyer's vintage buckskins - a deep, rich, color with a sheen to it.
Her coloring nicely mirrors that of the early Breyer buckskins, doesn't it?
She certainly has a glow to her coat. Even in dim light there is a pearly sheen to her, but compared to my other pearlies I would not say that she is a pearly or semi-gloss, either. She is definitely a bit of a puzzle!
She certainly has a glow to her coat. Even in dim light there is a pearly sheen to her, but compared to my other pearlies I would not say that she is a pearly or semi-gloss, either. She is definitely a bit of a puzzle!
Her muzzle and her face have more black shading than my first Karinthia.
A better view of that facial shading. (That's not a rub on her forelock - it's the lighting.)
My new model's three pink hooves are all a darker pink that my first Karinthian.
But while examining and comparing the two horses, I also discovered a bit of a puzzle with the first Karinthian. Early pieces from the first three months of this run were bi-eyed (according to Nancy Atkinson's final book) and my first mare may, I think, be one of them. I was using a flashlight to help me see when I caught sight of it, a brown spot in the center go her eye.
The bi-eyed horses that I have, though, are pretty easy to see without a flashlight. But since it was early morning and the light in my office is not the best at any time of day, I was using that flashlight.
Curious, I put the flashlight behind her head and shone it through her, like you would to determine if a model is chalky. That brown spot is clearly visible.
Her other eye, though, was a normal Breyer black dot; no brown pupil could be seen.
What is going on? Is this a bi-eyed model or something else? Did a painter start to paint the brown pupil and then cover it with black paint, remembering that bi-eyes were no longer being done? I have no idea and hope to chat with some hobby friends and get their opinions.
So now I have two Karinthians, one with an eye oddity, the other with gorgeous coloring and a sheen to her coat.
I'm keeping both.
The bi-eyed horses that I have, though, are pretty easy to see without a flashlight. But since it was early morning and the light in my office is not the best at any time of day, I was using that flashlight.
Curious, I put the flashlight behind her head and shone it through her, like you would to determine if a model is chalky. That brown spot is clearly visible.
Her other eye, though, was a normal Breyer black dot; no brown pupil could be seen.
So now I have two Karinthians, one with an eye oddity, the other with gorgeous coloring and a sheen to her coat.
I'm keeping both.









No comments:
Post a Comment