Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Grey Appaloosa Family Arabian Foal

Since I had my two grey Appaloosa FAMs out for yesterday's post, I also got out my Family Arabian Foal (FAF) in the same color.
 He is the belly band version with heavy splash spotting on the off side
and more minimal spotting on the near.  You can see the extensive bald face on this piece
 and its nice pink nose. There's a little pinking in its ears, too.

The FAF mold went through some permutations, and the ears were changed several times. Nancy Young wrote on page 196 in her book, Breyer Molds and Models, 1950 - 1997, "Version B: first leg stamped foals, ca. 1960-61: These have no belly stamp but instead a normal round Breyer Molding Co. stamp placed high inside the hind left leg..."
"... oriented with its central C symbol facing backward.... These foals also have the same round inward curving eartips..."
 You can see the inward curving eartips in this photo.
 Like the two FAMs in yesterday's post, the hoof bottoms appear to be made of grey plastic.
Just like the FAMs, I am not a big fan of this vintage mold. Having said that, I do think that this particular piece is pretty, and a very well preserved example of the color.

I'll see if I can't dig out my grey Appaloosa Family Arabian Stallion and take a closer look at him, too, in the next post.



No comments:

Post a Comment