Friday, May 24, 2019

Zuni Fetish Piece

Continuing yesterday's theme of  Native American horses, here is something that really is a Native American piece.
A Zuni fetish!
Fetishes are believed to have magical powers and the ability to protect their owners. The horse represents partnership, strength, power, and expanding one's own capabilities. The horse also is said to have healing powers.
Often they are adorned with arrowheads (as mine is) or other offerings for gifts that the owner would to like to receive or has already been given.
Modern fetishes are considered carvings as they have not been blessed by a shaman (those that have been are not for sale as they are considered highly sacred.)
My sister's first husband was a Native American and they had a duo wedding - a Christian marriage for her and then a Native American marriage with a shaman from his tribe. As her attendant, I was given this fetish as a thank you. I have kept it tucked away with my minis collection ever since.

If you are interested in learning more about fetishes, a good place to look  is here. They are really interesting, and not limited just to horses but include a host of other animals, all of whom have special meanings.




2 comments:

  1. WAY COOL and fun to learn about other cultures through things like this

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very special! I got goosebumps when I read that. What a beautiful gift.

    ReplyDelete