Saturday, May 4, 2019

After the Most-Wanted, What's Next?

When you have finally, finally, finally found your most wanted pieces for your collection (in my case, the Metlox Poppytail medium Circus Ponies), What is next?

For me, it was to savor the find for a while - to have the Circus Ponies out where I could see them and enjoy the feeling of completing a decades long search.  And while that was wonderful, I am changing out shelves in the horse room and don't want anything to happen to the new pieces as I wrestle with moving furniture and models around.
I have put the Circus Ponies into the curio that houses my "clunky" clinkies - the Melba Ware, Metlox Poppytrail, and Freeman Leidy pieces along with other random chinas such as Lakeshores, Chevals, Lenoxes, and Made in Japans.
 I get happy just looking at them. (Those are a few of my Freeman Leidy circus ponies behind them.)

But now what? Do I find something else to look for? Or am I happy with what I have and stop there?

I'm pretty much in the latter category. Sure, I will keep my eyes open for new pieces, but I am very content with what I have. There is another Metlox Poppytrail Circus Pony, this one with a rider, that I will look for.
Photo from Google Images.
I already have three of the riderless Circus Ponies (all from the late Karen Grimm's collection), and would not mind having the version with a rider. 

Cybis made two pieces in the late 1970s/early 1980s that I would like to find some day.
 One has a rider, like the Metlox Poppytrail piece
while the other is riderless and beginning a bow. (Both photos from Google Images and eBay. Second photo credit to China Finders.)

So, yes, there are still some pieces I would like to find.
 But nothing will ever compare to the long time search and joy in finding my most treasured pieces,
the grey and palomino Metlox Poppytrail Circus Ponies.

I am content.



1 comment:

  1. Ah that is a great feeling! So happy for you!
    Thanks for sharing pics of the others so we can keep our eyes peeled...ya never know! :)
    (Also, whispers: bridle rosettes, circus pony memorabilia and ephemera...haha)

    ReplyDelete