Friday, September 18, 2020

New Vistas For Model Horse Sewing Projects

 Years ago, Loni (Tim's wife) did me a favor and embroidered my stable name on my live show tablecloth.

I loved that she had a machine that could do that (and so much else) and have wanted an embroidery machine ever since. They're expensive, but with the sewing I do (and quiet books in particular) I would get a lot of use out of one. 

After talking to several friends who embroider, doing research, and actually borrowing a friend's machine and experimenting with it for a week, I finally decided on the machine I thought would work best for me. 

It arrived earlier this week and came in a monster box plus a second one that contained a storage case.
Craig hauled it upstairs for me and into the horse room where I stitch Horsiemama haversacks (sneak peek at the fabric for future haversacks on the table right there!)
It was easy to set up, and so I worked my way through the instruction manual and was soon embroidering away.
And when I felt comfortable with that, I embroidered my first haversack.
There is a grid tool to help with placement.
And a computer screen that reflects the grid tool to be sure you are going to stitch where you want to.
Then you simply start the machine and away it goes!
My first attempt turned out better than I expected. I figured the machine would be fine, but that I might want to adjust placement for the next time. But I was really happy with how it turned out.
Horsiemama's Holiday Haversacks are underway. I'll bet I could even do some Halloween ones, too, although I'd like to see if there is any interest first.

I can see myself doing live show tablecloths for people, making show donations of haversacks or blankets with the show's name embroidered on them, and so many other hobby-related ideas.

A new vista has opened up for me and it combines two of my favorite hobbies - model horses and sewing. I am "sew" excited. 






2 comments:

  1. I asked my Mom for a TSII "flag" a million years ago. The resulting fabric 'page,' mounted on cardboard, is still up on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool! I'd love to see a photo!

    ReplyDelete