Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Scale

Scale is important, whether you are working on tack for a 1:9 doll, setting up a scene, or buying props. It is also important when you are sewing.

I am working on a haversack donation for an upcoming photo show. I spoke to the show holder and asked for suggestions as to her preferences for color and any motifs that she'd like me to use. She sent me some links to fabrics that she liked, I ordered one of them, and took it from there.

Big oops! when that fabric arrived, though. I hadn't checked the scale of the fabric before purchasing it.

The scale of the printed unicorns are just too big for a haversack. While I might be able to juggle where I cut so that most of one unicorn is centered on the back, doing that would create a lot of wasted fabric, something I am not sure I really want to do.
Online fabric sellers almost always have a yardstick or ruler to give you an idea of the scale. It's my goof -  I totally forgot to check that.
Had I been shopping in person, I would have known immediately that the scale was too big, but due to this pandemic, all my fabrics have been bought from online sources for the past six months. (The other thing I check is whether or not the fabric has a one way pattern, like this one, or not. That makes a difference in how many haversacks you can cut from a yard of fabric. )

Since it's a good quality fabric, I am wondering if I might be able to make something else from it as a donation. It's pretty, too (if you like unicorns...) And, if I have any remnants left, Pony Pal Mila just might get a pillow.

Lesson learned: never forget to check the scale of the pattern on the fabric.




No comments:

Post a Comment