Sunday, May 2, 2021

Circus Time: Breyer Plastics

The Breyer porcelain circus horses are well known, but Breyer also produced  some other, lesser known circus themed pieces in plastic.

For example, BreyerFest 2006 was called Summer Carnival and included several circus themed offerings.


Trixie, on the Stablemate Paso Fino mold, was the one day ticket holder model. She came in a silk lined box with tack, headpiece, and rings. (There was also a set of Stablemates BreyerFest attendees could purchase called "Three Ring Circus Trio," but aside from the name, there really wasn't a circus connection to them.)


The vintage mold Clydesdale Stallion was featured in a set called "Circus Extravaganza" that was released 1994 - 1995. He came with the Little Bit Clydesdale - an odd pairing since the smaller model had no circus tack or decorations and was out of scale with the other piece. 


Corky and Bimbo were characters on the popular Circus Boy television series that ran from 1956 - 1958. It starred Mickey Braddock who later was seen as Mickey Dolenz in The Monkees. Using the elephant mold, Breyer produced a set called Corky and Bimbo in 1958-1960 and Corky's face is clearly that of Mickey Dolenz.


I don't have the original Breyer Corky and Bimbo, but I do have the 2000 re-release. I've kept it in the original box. 

Also in my collection is one of the old Circus Boy books from 1958. Currently it's tucked away in a box somewhere and since I am under lifting restrictions for a while, I didn't dig it out. (Craig would do it for me, but he is already helping me so much as I recover that I am not going to ask him.)

Tomorrow we will move on to the only grail piece I have ever searched for.

Prepare to be amazed!



No comments:

Post a Comment