Thursday, May 27, 2021

Rodeo Shirts: Done!

Time passes quickly when you are working under a deadline, and while I have had about six weeks since I offered to make new rodeo shorts for Pony Pal Cambria and Cowpoke Titan, I have needed that time to get their shirts completed and mailed in time for their first rodeo of the season.


I thought it would be fun to embroider western designs on the yokes of the shirts


and so I did a lot of experimenting with colors and motifs.


Because Mountain Mama Jessica chose a bandana fabric for Titan's yokes,


I ended up skipping the embroidery. Practice pieces just did not show well up against the background.


Cambria's shirt was different - try as I might, I could not find a bandana fabric that went well with the fuchsia gingham.


Embroidery-wise, that worked in my favor.


I used white for the yokes and fuchsia embroidery thread, and was pleased with the results.


Titan's shirt looked fine to me with no embroidery


or appliqués like I had done last year. (He got Star Wars; Cambria got a unicorn. )


Still, I decided to add a Batman appliqué for him knowing that that would make him smile.


I was really happy with how the shirts turned out. (Yes, I am hanging Cambria's rodeo shirt from a Melbaware drafter, but that piece is so heavy, I wasn't worried about it sliding off.)


It took almost a week to finish up the shirts, and then I got to the stage I had DREADED last year - adding the pearl snaps. But that had ended up being easier than I'd anticipated, so after putting the snaps off for a couple of hours, I came back to the sewing table, took a deep breath, and got started.


Success! And once again, very easy.


I think Cambria and Titan are going to like their shirts, and I plan to tuck a little surprise into the shirts' pockets for them - just for luck.

Stay 'tooned!





2 comments:

  1. Your grand-kids are so lucky. It's hard to imagine more feel-able love than artistic expressions of personal interest wrapped around your shoulders. The only textiles I have from my Grandma B's hands are a pair of embroidered pillowcases long since worn out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love everything about these and especially the patches that add that personal touch. They are so darling! Good luck rodeoing kids!

    ReplyDelete