Thursday, May 13, 2021

Mutton Busting Time Approaches

Second post of the day.

Mountain Mama Jessica and I were chatting the other day, and she mentioned that Pony Pal Cambria and Cowpoke Titan are entered in three rodeos this summer. Cambria is a veteran mutton buster but this will be Titan's first time - he's finally old enough to give it a try.

Last year was Cambria's second year of rodeoing and she had told her parents that her goal was to win a championship buckle. We all smiled and hoped that she would not be too disappointed when the buckle went to someone else. We should not have doubted that determined little girl.


She hung on to earn 82 points, winning the championship buckle at the Spanish Fork Fiesta Days rodeo. (Cambria is in the red boots having her picture taken with the rodeo queens.) Go here to watch the video of her winning ride.

She was so thrilled to have won the buckle that she wore it the very first day of school that fall. (If I were in her boots, I think I'd have done the same thing!)

Jessica told me that the shirts I'd made the kids last year were too small and asked if I might be able to make them new shirts this year. 


Not only were the shirts too small, but the pattern I had used was, too. I did some online searching and found a vintage pattern on Etsy that should work. (They live in Utah so I can't fit the pattern to them. That adds a little stress to the project.)

Last year's shirts were black gingham with a red bandana yoke. This year, Jessie asked for blue gingham and bandana for Titan, and pink for Cambria.


The fabric for Titan's shirt.


Since I couldn't find a white bandana print, Jessica says she'd prefer the yoke on Cambria's be white but we may go with pink. I will be embroidering the rose on the yoke, too.

I also made a surprise for them - I couldn't believe my luck when I found some mutton busting fabric!

I made two pillowcases and have sent them on to Utah already. They should arrive tomorrow and I can't wait to hear what the kids think of them.

Between a thriving haversack business and preparing shirts for rodeo season, it's a good thing my spine has healed enough for me to be able to bend over the sewing and embroidery machines. I wouldn't want to miss the chance to sew Titan's and Cambria's rodeo shirts for the world!





No comments:

Post a Comment