The other night Craig was watching a movie and I was sitting on the couch writing as I kept him company. I don't watch much TV (I prefer to read) but I do like to sit with Craig if he has a movie on.
"The lead character's mom, Sandra, sure looks like Susan Phelan, doesn't she?" I commented absentmindedly and then bent my head to continue writing.
Susan and her husband Michael are friends of ours from our earliest University of Illinois days. Susan and I had become friends through our commonalities of having large families, attending the same church, and our mutual love of horses.
The movie continued and when Sandra appeared onscreen again, the resemblance was uncanny. And then I had a lightbulb moment - Susan had become a writer, director, and actor after her kids were grown. Could that really be her?
Quickly I pulled Hot Chocolate Holiday up on IMDb and scrolled through the cast.
Oh, my goodness, it was Susan! I knew she had been keeping busy with her career, but honestly, I hadn't paid too much attention as I don't watch much TV.
A quick look at her profile on IMDb showed that she had found success in her acting and directing career.
As I said, Sue and I were both horsey gals. Michael, though, was way beyond us - he had been on track to become an elite rider and trainer.
Michael in turn gave me lessons on Indy and really improved my riding skills. It was either he or Sue who took this photo of Indy and me as we prepared to go into the ring for one of Michael's lessons.
Sue and I last visited in person about fifteen years ago. I was out in Utah with Beach Son Kyle who was studying at Brigham Young University.
At the time, Sue was a puppy raiser for guide dog puppies and brought one with her when we met for lunch. Little did I know that, years later, one of my best friends would be a blind woman and I would know several guide dogs well and even become a retirement home for one!
Sue, Michael, and some of their kids with a dog they raised and the woman she was guiding.
When the holidays are over and things quiet down, I am going to send Sue a message and share that I'd caught her latest film and catch up a bit with her.
And maybe the next time I am in Utah visiting Mountain Mama Jessica, Sue and I will get together in person.
No comments:
Post a Comment