You can't always tell by looking at someone that they are horsey or that there are hoof prints on their heart. I had a very real example of this recently.
Craig and I were hosting some fairly well known people*** at our home for lunch, people we were acquainted with but did not really know well. They were traveling and we invited them to come to our home for lunch before they left town.
The woman stepped into our living room, looked around, then turned to me and said, "Tell me about you and horses."
That isn't too unusual a question when someone comes into our home - the china hutch with my Hagen Renakers and other china model horses is right there.
But it turned out that this woman was a horsey gal, too. She'd grown up in California riding and showing hunters and jumpers. She told me that she'd love to have a horse now but feels it would not be fair to it since she could not see it very often.
And with that, the horsey conversation took off - lunch forgotten.
We ended going upstairs to see the models in my office and sewing room. As she looked at my collection, she told me that she used to have model horses but had had no idea that there was a hobby with collecting, live shows, and more.
That night, the woman texted me this photo of two models from her childhood collection.
I smiled when I received that photo of the Family Arabian Mare and Marx Pancho. Never would I have associated her with horses but it just goes to show - we horsey girls are everywhere.
*** Their names are not given as I did not ask for permission to share them.
Terrific to see old Pancho! I had one of those. I miss him.
ReplyDeleteI love the part about "lunch forgotten."