Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Some Interesting QH Yearlings - Part 3

Today we are going to look at the first of the two liver chestnut QH Yearlings in my collection. (Second from right in the photo.)

This piece belonged to my youngest sister, Jenny, and we rediscovered it when sorting through our mom's estate. Jenny didn't want it so I brought it home.


There are a lot of red undertones in its coat.


The very earliest pieces have no USA stamp next to the Breyer mold mark so that dates this one to 1970 or so. (The USA mark was added in 1971 or 1972.)

The mane has that shiny black look that others with hand painted manes have.


It is sooooo hard to photograph, but the mane also has a thin black line that runs the length of the mane. It reminds me of when I was little and would pull out my crayons and coloring books; I would outline the part I was going to color next and then fill it in - outlining helped me to stay inside the lines. Who knows - maybe that was the painter's intent!


The bottom of the hooves are pretty unremarkable.


Aside from being an early piece and having a hand painted mane, there isn't anything else too exciting about it.

Its shelf mate, though, is another story.

Stay 'tooned!




No comments:

Post a Comment