Fourth graders in Indiana study state history, and The Feast of the Hunters' Moon is a great way to learn about that history. Friday at The Feast is set aside for School Days and students from all over the state descend on Fort Ouiatenon.
Yesterday 3,000+ students enjoyed a day in 18th century Indiana. Since I am a sutler (merchant) and don't demonstrate or teach anything, my tent isn't open and I always volunteer to check in those students, teachers, and chaperones when they arrive. (Bus photos by Brooke Sauter.)
When all the buses have arrived and checked in, my duties are done. I took a few minutes to walk around the grounds and peek at some of the exhibits. This particular tent was a museum of the jobs that children did back then and this particular job caught my eye. I went over for a closer look.
Whoa! I'm a "Purefinder" only I don't get paid for it!
A history of matches.
Teacher Daughter Lisa was there with her class but of course she could not spend too much time with me. We chatted a bit, I said hello to all her kids (several tried using the French I'd taught them to greet me and did good job!) and then she was off to see some other things with her students.
It was a successful day (aside from one lost student and one phone dropped into the porta-potty) but the student got back with her class and the phone (believe it or not) was rescued by a very brave soul.
Today we open for everyone, not just the students. We expect 46,000+ people, the weather is cool but gorgeous, and at last it is time to go.
Wish me luck!


No comments:
Post a Comment