Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Check Out that Local History!

I can check two things off my to-do list.


Yesterday's out of town lunch was fun and very much worth the time it took to get there and back. Not everyone is in the best of health and sometimes you just have to cherish the moments when you are able to be together. This was one of those times and I am so glad we were there.


And, I finished the men's shirt and now I have every size in stock if needed. I don't do checked fabrics very often and it was fun to change it up from my usual block prints.


Since the car that was blocking the shelf where my wreaths are stored was out of the garage, Craig pulled out my fall horse head wreath and put the summer horseshoe one away for me.


Lisa gave me this bench pillow for my birthday, and while some might consider it Thanksgiving decor, it has pumpkins and I like the sentiment, so it's on display until December. Now I just need some big pumpkins to set out on the porch.


In preparation for today's presentation to the 4th graders at her school, Lisa and I both spent some time in the evening figuring out which 18th century clothes to wear to school today. Usually Lisa wears her red riding habit, but I think she may wear this one today. 

That hat was her grandmother's and Lisa always wears it at every event (or school presentation) as a nod to my mother's memory.


Lisa, my mother (wearing the hat), and Jessica at an event in the 1990s. 

And just for fun, here's another generational family picture - this time three generations of Feast and living history interpreters are together.


Me, my mother (in a different hat), and Jessica at Feast in 1998 or 1999. The boy in the blue and yellow jacket (Breyer's colors!) was a student of mine and his mom took this photo and then sent it to me.

As for today, I have already packed the things I am taking to show the students in the car. But there is still lots to do before I head off to school:

~ I need to get out my trade silver earrings and seamstress necklace (both made by Rick), 

~ find my fichu (I KNOW I saw it in one of those tubs!), my knit stockings, my hat, and my 18th century shoes, 

~ grab an apron off the sales rack (to wear in case my pins fail and I have a "wardrobe malfunction" [ahem!!] while presenting),

~ and set out some Tylenol because I am going to be standing for a long, long time this morning. I will need it.

Despite the preparation work and all the things I still need to do to get ready for Feast, I am really looking forward to teaching today. I love teaching regardless, and when it is something I am passionate about like the rich history that's right here in our own county***, I am thrilled to spend time with this group of 4th graders.

I may not be able to walk when I'm done, but it will be worth it. 

It's going to be a great day.


*** Battle of Tippecanoe (fought just a few miles from the school); William Henry Harrison, 9th US President, French outpost Fort Ouiatenon, the Underground Railroad and St. John's Episcopal Church, Prophet's RockTenskwatawaProphetstown, Amelia Earhart... There's so much more than this that happened right here in Tippecanoe County.

Can you tell I am a historian's daughter??



2 comments:

  1. It is good to get together and you feel much than if you did no go bc you thought oh next time bc I have so much to do. I have been changing my out look too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful visit we had in May to view and talk about all these happenings -- I will always treasure it -- but somehow I forgot about Amelia Earhart. That one escaped... Historian's daughter! Well, I'm the wife of a wargamer and professor,... it's almost the same,...

    ReplyDelete