First Post of the Day
"Howling winds." "Incessant strong winds." "Highest winds [measured] at Purdue airport since 1991."
All comments by Chad Evans, longtime (and highly accurate) weather forecaster in our area. He was speaking about yesterday afternoon. And boy howdy, was he right.
One of Lisa's fence posts snapped in the high winds and a section of her fence came down.
She's done a temporary repair and we are all grateful that Nash and Mama were at our home when it happened. Had they not, no doubt Nash would have gone visiting and there is a very busy highway just a cornfield away from Lisa's back yard. A potential disaster was avoided.
Lisa also lost some siding on her home in those "incessant strong winds." She will call her insurance agent Monday morning about repairs to her fence and to her home.
Craig and I had some roof damage - this shingle landed on our patio and it isn't the only one gone. You can see that our patio rug has been blown around - we put a chair on it to hold it down until the winds died and we could straighten it out.
And, as we looked for the yard waste tub, I discovered someone's Amazon delivery had blown into our front yard. I retrieved it, checked the address, and then walked down to the home it belonged to and hand delivered it to its owner there. (They were shocked that it had blown off their porch and into our yard. I was pretty astonished myself.)
This wasn't our first wind event of the month and it looks like it won't be the last. We are expecting severe storms and possible tornados tomorrow. I have a new safe space in our home that fits both humans and dogs and we may get to try it out.
March is going out like the proverbial lion this year. Sure hope April will be quieter.

I know high wind isn't funny -- I experienced the 100+mph gust in Boulder in the 70s! -- but that map has me giggling. We used to own mountain lots the old-timers had named Zephyr and Cyclone.
ReplyDeleteThe map is cute
ReplyDelete