Tuesday, July 2, 2019

My Early Horsey History

Recently my son, Cole, called and asked if I could find an old photo for him that he needed for a project. As I was looking for it, I came across a treasure trove of things from my earliest days of horse ownership.

 I got Amy, my very first horse (and Abby's look alike) on February 28, 1971.
I had been saving my babysitting money (at the rate of fifty cents an hour) for a very long time, keeping it in this envelope. I used the money to buy my first saddle, which I still have out in Tim's tack room. (My parents were kind enough to foot the bill for Amy's purchase.)
I only had a couple of riding lessons prior to getting Amy and for the most part am a self taught horsewoman.
 Freebie books at the local farm store on horse training and care?
 Yes, please! Home with me they came, and I pored over them, trying to learn everything that I could.
 They were advertising materials, but still useful to me in my quest to learn all that I could.
 Then there was the so-called Beery School of Horsemanship.
Somehow I got on their mailing list and I got mail at least once a month, trying to get me to buy their programs and products.
Even though I was twelve, I had a pretty good idea that "Professor Beery" was really just a money making sham and tossed his materials in the trash. (I was actually surprised to find that I had saved one.)
Tucked into my live horse memorabilia was a ribbon from an early photo show that I had won. We used to be pretty creative in making awards back then!

Tomorrow I will show some more things from my early horse owning days.


No comments:

Post a Comment