Since we are close to Christmas, I selected a red and green fabric for my first try.
And promptly forgot to match the fabric's red and green pattern at the seams! That was my first note for the second attempt - if your pattern is stripes or plaid, check to be sure that the pattern is matched before you make that first cut!
The hip darts proved to be easier than I thought (that's yellow tailor's chalk marking the stitching lines.) I ran into a problem with my bobbin tension, though, (the red stitching) and battled that the entire project. I've never had that problem with this sewing machine. Why now?
I began making notes as I sewed so that I could remember what I did, what worked, what did not, and the order in which I sewed the blanket pieces together. I'll type these up later and then will tweak them as I make the next blanket or two.
The Breyer blanket I had taken apart for a pattern used two colors of grosgrain ribbon for finishing the edges so I did the same.
Breyer stay-stitched the neck but did not clip the curves; that was a change I made as I sewed.
Soon I was on my second page of notes!
But the blanket was taking shape nicely. I did like the way the red edges the sides; I will not use two different colors of ribbon on my next practice blanket and see how it turns out. I think the edge looks cleaner with just the red.Another problem with the grosgrain ribbon is that, unlike bias tape, it does not stretch smoothly around curves. I had to use a lot of pins to get it to lay as flat as possible, then ironed it flat after stitching. My plan is to use bias tape on the next one and see how well it works.
All things considered, I am really happy with my first attempt. I'm going to cut one out later today or tomorrow and implement those changes.










Just in time for all the snow and cold! Lucky horses. :)
ReplyDelete