The Fighting Stallion looks lovely in this color - I think I like it better on this mold than I do glossy charcoal, my favorite color of all. It was produced 1961 - 1966.
The mane and tail on this piece are not black like they are with the Family Arabians. Instead, the Fighting Stallion pieces came with a grey (like mine) or light grey mane and tail.
The face is bald and a very few have pinking on the inside corner of the eye. Mine has three spots on its face.
There is a white belly band and the splash spots vary from very few and limited to the rump to all over the body. Mine has spots on the off side up to behind its ears.Mine is old enough to have remnants of the old foam hoof and tail pads. (That white circle on the tip of the tail is drainboard patterning.) He's a beautiful piece.
Breyer also produced the Semi-Rearing Mustang in a glossy grey Appaloosa 1961/63 - 1966.
The mane and tail are white instead of black or even grey. (My piece's are a creamy color due to age.)
The color produced on this mold ranged from a light powder grey to a medium dark grey.The socks are white rather than black or charcoal, and the hooves are pink.
The Appaloosa spots on mine are more extensive than they appear in photographs - his go up to his shoulders with a few high up on the neck and behind his ears.
Breyer continued to produce the grey Appaloosa color (and variations of it) up to very recently. Next we'll have a look at more modern examples of the color.









My grey appaloosa Fighter has LOTS of spots... and I painted his mane and tail black with enamel, oh boy. Your Mustang seems a bit darker than mine. I like the odd-placed spots!
ReplyDelete