The fourth and last offering from Breyer's Vintage Club has arrived, and she is gorgeous!
Zahra, the In-Between Mare, in a glossy dapple bay.
The dapples on mine are very subtle on the off side, but can be seen more clearly on the near.
She was a gambler's choice of three colors - glossy dapple bay, glossy dappled rose grey pinto, and matte dapple palomino. (The literature that came with the model calls the palomino version pearly palomino.) According to Identify Your Breyer there were about 167 made in each of the three Vintage Club colors. (Photo by Breyer.)
The In-Between Mare may be Breyer's rarest model and has an interesting history. In the 1950s Breyer copied Hagen Renaker's large Arabian Mare, Zara. Hagen Renaker strongly objected, and so Breyer had to change the mold. The In-Between Mare was their first attempt, and for years the only one known to exist was a glossy grey Appaloosa that was in the collection of Marney Walerius. (The next and final iteration of the mold was the Family Arabian Mare.)
She has an overlong neck but Zahra will still fit into a standard haversack.As time passed, several other In-Between Mares surfaced in woodgrain and alabaster. I would not be surprised if one or two are discovered in palomino and possibly even charcoal. Maybe those will surface some day.
Since this is the first time the mold has ever been used in Breyer's line-up, there are a lot of people who want her. A check of eBay shows that one like mine was just listed and already has nine bids and is at $260 with seven days left for bidding.
I have no plans to sell mine and if I can, I will rearrange my shelves and put her between my Family Arabian Mares and my Proud Arabian Mares.
That makes sense since she is the In-Between Mare!

She is beautiful! I can't wait for mine to arrive!
ReplyDelete