I'm not a follower of horse racing, but I do try to catch the Kentucky Derby every year. Yesterday was no exception and I sure am glad I watched - it was one of the most exciting Derbies I've ever seen.
Coverage of the Derby began earlier in the day, but I didn't tune in until after 5:00.
What a race! I don't think Epicenter and Zandon's jockeys even knew that Rich Strike was coming up on them and the announcer doesn't even mention him until just before they cross the finish line!
Attention now turns to the Preakness in two weeks and no doubt many more people will be tuning in to see if Rich Strike can do it again. (I sure will be!)
And let's hope that for the Preakness, they give his poor pony a shield like some of the other ponies had.
Kentucky Derby Pie
1 9" pie crust
1 cup melted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup flour
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Cream butter and sugars, then mix in eggs, vanilla, and flour and beat well. Fold in chocolate chips and walnuts and pour into a 9" pie crust. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. (The middle of the pie should still be slightly jiggly when done.) Note: The recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of bourbon but I don't drink so I left that out.
I also do not follow racing, but that was a good race. Watching him abuse the pony at the end was horrible though. I was not impressed, and neither was the pony's rider I don't think. He looked mad! I don't blame him. I think the shields should be mandatory, and not dependent on the horse's normal temperament. You just can't predict them when they're under that much tension. Your decor looks beautiful, I just dusted my Winx lol.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you about those mandatory shields! I felt so badly for the pony and his rider. And I'm sure Winx looks lovely, dusty or not. :)
DeleteIt just makes no sense why they allow them to pony without! So many of those horses get bitten unnecessarily.
DeleteWinx is one of my favorites, even though she is a devil for showing dust. 😂
I agree....it was weird that the announcer didn't mention Rich Strike till the very end. Your house looks amazing! :D
ReplyDeleteBassgirl