Because I could not leave my tent, I could not go to the stages set up across the grounds and catch the various fiddlers, singers, and other musicians who were recreating music from the 18th century.
Luckily, sometimes the music came to me! There were at least eight 18th century military and bagpiper groups, and as they wandered the grounds, I sometimes stepped out of my tent to listen as they marched by.
Scottish Highlander Bagpipers
Curt and Vanessa filmed this concert for me - several of the militia and bagpiper groups gathered to play together.
The gravel walkway near my tent was frequently used by the colonial militia units. The women behind them were called camp followers and they did just that - they followed husbands, fathers, brothers, and sons as they marched and fought. Their role was to set up camps, cook meals, and help treat the wounded.
I'll share more later - I have a lot to do today with unpacking and taking inventory. Check back early afternoon and hopefully I will have another blog post up.
Stay 'tooned!

No comments:
Post a Comment