Saturday, March 11, 2023

Cinderella's Carriage

I was sorting through some photos this morning and came across a set taken when The Farm at Prophetstown dedicated their new heirloom orchard in memory of my family's orchard last October. I think I'd intended to do a second blog post about the dedication and include those pictures then, but that never happened.

This carriage is too beautiful and unusual to miss so here are the pictures.


 While it isn't pumpkin shaped, it reminds me of Cinderella's carriage.


I'm not sure where it is stored in the park - I've been in all the barns and never seen it. It could also be a new acquisition which may be why it was parked outside on display for attendees to view.


I know little to nothing about carriages and had a lot of questions. One was, what are these three knobs for that are under the legs of the driver? (My guess is that they may control the lights on the vehicle.)


Or this metal box at the feet of the driver - a brake, maybe?


There are two bench seats, both with purple velvet-covered seats, and one which was under a cover


while the facing seat was out in the open.


Attached to the back of the carriage was this box - probably to carry food and drink, rain gear, and things like that.

The Farm also has a sleigh that is similar in that there are two bench seats that face each other. I know it is called a "vis a vis" (face to face) sleigh, so perhaps this one is called a vis a vis carriage.

I'd love to learn more about this lovely carriage, so if you can share anything, please do! You can post in the comments or by emailing me at horsiemama8@gmail.com. Thanks!






3 comments:

  1. This is a rather typical Landau style of carriage. https://horseyhooves.com/types-of-horse-drawn-carriages/
    Made by Les Voitures Robert Carriages, this is probably their Classic, though they also make them for ponies and miniature horses, Vis a Vis, they're one of the largest and one of the last remaining carriage makers in the world, it's a dying art form, sadly. They do actually make the true Cinderella style carriage which is essentially this carriage with a modified roof.
    http://voituresrobert.com/portfolio/classic-vis-a-vis/?lang=en
    This one is set up for a single horse with shafts rather than a team with a central pole, and for some reason the top is not covering the rear facing seats, which it usually would. I am not sure what the knobs are, but would assume you're correct. The metal brake on the driver's foot well is hydraulic, a safety feature to prevent runaway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the two links, they were quite interesting!

      Delete
  2. The trunk in back might carry, in addition to food and drink, a harness spares kit. The latest Driving Digest (issue 242) has an article on spares kits for carriages (!). Amoung the more surprising contents: a wheel wrench sized for your vehicle, a twitch, black electrical tape, shoelaces (more useful than leather laces), one of those orange triangle safety things, and nuts and bolts for when your traces break and you need to bolt together the pieces. (!) This is in addition to the usual leather tools (hole punch, knife), farriery tools (hammer, nails, maybe a horseshoe), grooming tools (hoofpick, halter), and harness repair stuff like buckles and straps. I see I’ve forgotten 'people stuff' like flashlight and insect repellent, which is supposed to work equally well for horses! I guess that would be under grooming...

    ReplyDelete