Friday, March 3, 2023

On the Run

I'm writing this morning and feeling better but not 100% yet. Those TIA symptoms coupled with the migraines are still causing trouble. I've started having tremors in my hands and I can't hit the correct keys when typing  - it is a mess. And if it happens when I am sewing, my fingers turn into pincushions, I stab myself so much. I've had a lot more testing done with a neurologist and they still don't know what is causing all this. 

(Bragging rights for having the Russell Viper Venom Screen as one of my tests, right? My kids thought I was kidding them when I told them about that test, but I'd anticipated their response and had taken a photo of the orders from the doctor to show them.)

Anyway! 

This week is Dr. Seuss's birthday and many schools celebrate with a week of literacy. I've been asked to go into two schools and read to a couple of classrooms.


Wednesday (before I got so sick with that migraine) I went to Teacher Daughter Lisa's school so Pepper could listen to students in her classroom read to her. (Pay no attention to that tennis ball!)

Afterward Lisa taught her students about what a guide dog does and let them ask questions about Pepper.

Today, I am going back to the school where I used to teach. Another teacher, my friend Kathy, is coming with me and we will read together. Kathy transcribed the book Because Amelia Smiled by David Ezra Stein into braille, and she will read while I hold the book and point out things of note on the pages. 

Kathy, her guide Nacho, and me, ready to go to a speaking engagement. We do a lot of teaching together, even though I am now retired. (She taught high school but is now in administration and is responsible for the training and support of teachers new to the corporation.)

Pepper being read to last May by a second grade class that had written poems about dogs. Kathy and I brought Nacho, Tate, and Pepper in so the dogs could hear their poems.

Kathy and I taught together many times when I was still in the classroom, and now we have fun going back into schools together. When we bring Pepper and Nacho or Tate, it is even more fun!

So, I'm a bit on the run today and don't have as much time as usual to write. But (fingers crossed) I won't get another migraine like that last one for a while and the blog won't be interrupted like that again.

Stay 'tooned!




1 comment: