Saturday, July 1, 2023

Summer Gathering 2023: Telephone Poles & Puppies

Day one of the big family gathering is over and already I am tired. But that's a family gathering for you, right?

I was working on Friday's blog post when I had an early morning visitor.


Kyle sat down with Pepper and chatted with me while I wrote. She grabbed his arm to keep him next to her.

Pepper had an early morning vet appointment, so I quickly posted my blog post for the day and rushed her off to the vet.


Afterward, I ran past the barn for a quick visit with Abby.

She always comes when I call her, making soft nickers as she walks up, but recently she has begun coming up as soon as she sees my car. Warms my heart.

Back at home, some Pony Pals had arrived to spend time with their Uncle Kyle.

He taught them the joke my Dad had played on me and then on my kids, the old, "I can jump higher than a telephone pole" prank.

"I can jump higher than a telephone pole. Or even that tree in the back yard."

"Uh uh, no you can't. It's too tall."

Kyle makes a small hop. "See? I did it!"

"What?? No you didn't! You only hopped."

"Yes, I did." (pause) "Telephone poles can't jump"

Dawning comprehension crosses the Pony Pals' faces and laughter erupts as all three begin hopping around so that they, too, are jumping higher than a telephone pole.

Pony Pal Mila was so enamored by the joke that she told it to EVERYONE who arrived yesterday.  When Hawkeye Sarah, Todd, and Trinity got here mid afternoon, she ran to them and spilled the joke out so quickly you could hardly understand her. (My dad must be smiling from heaven at her delight in his old joke.)

Having family come home means I cook the kids' favorite meals from childhood.

Challah bread is always on the list.  (Bonus: it's easy to make and feeds a crowd.)

I also pulled out the cowboy dishes, a newer acquisition thanks to Liz Cory.

When our family gathers, we spend a lot of time cooking  playing board and card games. Often we do it in shifts, playing easier, shorter games first before the Pony Pals go to bed. (Will I ever beat Cowpoke Lukie at Llama, Llama?)


Last night was no exception, 


Pony Pal Mila with Molly.

but there were also six dogs to play with plus four puppies who'd figured out how to escape the expensive new fence their owners had just put it.  


Molly watching the action in the back yard.

Those pups were small enough to slip through the bars of the fence! Curt saw them bouncing around in the yard, captured them, and then alerted the owner. A puppy fest is a great way to end the evening - trust me on that!

Today's plans begin with donuts so I need to get going. (Wouldn't you? LOL)





1 comment:

  1. I swear Mila is getting bigger. I know this is old hat, but I'm still surprised.

    ReplyDelete