Monday, March 18, 2024

A Look at 18th Century Jewelry

Second Post of the Day

Last week I posted this picture of the jewelry I wear to enhance my period clothing and help give the impression that I am a woman living in the 18th century (the 1700s.)


Not only is it all period correct, I also have strong personal and sentimental connections to it.

The true, actually made in the 1700s, piece is this strand of feather beads.


They are made of Venetian glass and are strung on rawhide. Feather beads get their name from the design on them that makes them look a bit like feathers. These were my mother's and my first piece of 18th century jewelry, real or reproduction. My son Cole, has strong memories of this strand of beads connected to his grandmother, and I have a note in their box that they are to go to him when I am gone.


Feather beads are under the umbrella name of "trade beads" which is what they were used for. European traders took them around the globe. A short history about them can be found here.

I have another necklace that is chock full of a variety of trade beads. Made by a Native American friend of my mother's as a gift for me, this necklace is made of deerskin and decorated in trade beads. (Thimbles and bells were highly popular trade items and often used as decorations.)


All the beads are glass and are real - none are reproductions. My mother asked that the horse be an Appaloosa as a tribute to my first horse, Amy, so seed beads were added on the hips to represent spots. 

I added an arrow to show my favorite bead - the watermelon bead. Each end of that bead has a tiny red bit and the body is striped and long like many heritage varieties of watermelon are. A jingle cone is on the far left. It is made of trade silver and filled with horsehair.

Isn't it cool? Needless to saw, I treasure this necklace.

Next, let's look at more trade silver.

First is a medallion made by Leslie's husband, Rick. A silversmith, he made this for our mother. (The chain is a modern one.) She sewed and sold period clothes herself and she wore this at events as a way of identifying her trade. 


In the 18th century, many if not most people could not read. Signs might be put up identifying businesses, but if customers couldn't read them, you would lose out on sales. 

So, traders wore medallions like this one. Can you see the thimble and the scissors? By looking at this medallion, people would know that she could mend that rip in their coat, sew them a shirt, and more.


I wear it because my 18th century persona can do the same. (And it makes me feel close to my mom.)

This next is also a treasure and connects me very much to things that mean a lot to me - the Ouiatenon Cross.


Another piece of trade silver, it was made by Rick and I think Leslie strung the trade beads for it.


The real Ouiatenon Cross

The Ouiatenon Cross was found when archeologists were doing excavations at the site of Ouiatenon and is considered a true treasure from the era. Most likely it belonged to a French Catholic priest who ministered to the people living there. I am not Catholic, but my faith is very important to me. Connect that to Ouiatenon, a place that I love, to my mother, sister, and brother-in-law, and this piece has significant meaning to me.


Me wearing the Ouiatenon Cross and Leslie in her 19th century riding habit.

Here's more trade silver in the form of earbobs! 


Triangles and jingle cones. Jingle cones were prized by the Native Americans as well as the Europeans. Both groups adorned their clothing and other things with jingle cones. 


Watch this Women's Jingle from the 2019 Gathering of Nations Pow Wow. What energy and such beautiful dancing!


Amethysts and sterling silver. Made by Rick. (Need to use some silver polish on those!) I wore these on Sunday as they look nice with the Ouiatenon Cross.


More trade silver from Rick - a recent addition to my 18th century jewelry and suitable for the woman I portray.

Finally, the chatelaine. 


This is mine but I have several that I inherited from my mother, one of which is truly stunning and was made for her as a gift. They get a whole blog post to  themselves.

Stay 'tooned!




2 comments:

  1. What a lovely variety of jewelry. Thank you for sharing pictures of them and explaining their origins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much for my eyesight. To not know rawhide -- ! blush. I thought it was metal [stringing the top of the glass beads]. I did hope those triangular earbobs would turn out to be historical. I'm glad to find out they were. Also, how nice to have a jeweler in the family. :)

    ReplyDelete