Lots of bits and pieces to share today!
Breyer
First, Breyer made an announcement yesterday acknowledging the issues their shipping department is having. Here's that announcement from Breyer's Facebook page.
It's a good beginning and I think it was wise that Breyer do so, but my experience has been that the problem is bigger and has more facets than what they are addressing in this email. (Remember my Christmas Blanket Debacle post?) Yes, shipping is a problem, but so have been other things, too, in CCG.
Another concern I have is the Customer Service department. No doubt they are buried in emails and phone calls; I get that. But it isn't much of a confidence builder when the automated response to your email comes back tagged as SPAM!
You start wondering if your email really was received and read. (I mentioned in the post about the blanket debacle that I emailed Breyer about having received a blanket that I had not ordered or paid for and asking how to return it. Crickets. That blanket is still here.)
Regardless, kudos to Breyer for updating collectors on the situation - they've taken some heat and gotten some snark for their efforts, but I think it is a step in the right direction and hope that that continues. It never, ever hurts to communicate and keep people in the loop. Thanks, Breyer.
Two more guest horses were announced via the BreyerFest blog, both of them returning guests.
HD Darkness (he's 27 years old!) will be in attendance and Breyer will have a limited number of models of him for sale on site. (I really like this mold.)
Buckeye will be back, too, although no models will be available of him.Barns
I love barns in all their variety. (I'm talking the old wooden ones, not the metal pole barns.) This little info sheet about various barn types crossed my social media feed yesterday so I took a screen shot of it. I do not have the original source; it was just shared by a woman in a group.
Farmyard Palace Barn? Hmmm, quite the description! Around here our barns are related most closely to the Western Prairie Barn, the Dutch Gambrel Roof Barn, and the Pioneer Barn with a few Round Barns added to the mix.
Tim has the beautiful new barn with its indoor arena, stalls, lounge, office, and tack room, but I have always chosen the old barn as the place I most like to be when I am out there.
Abby, Sultanna, and Diablo thundering out of the old barn to come get some peppermints.
Pony Pal Mila and her mama invited me to read a book with them. "There's a horse in it named 'Butter', Grammy!" (Guess why. Just try. LOL)
The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley is a really good book and one that I would've included in my classroom library were I still teaching.
In an interesting coincidence, Emily texted Teacher Daughter Lisa and me a day later and asked if we had any book recommendations for Pony Pals Julie, Kate, and Susan. Easy peasy - at the end of their two years with me (I taught a multiage class of 4th and 5th graders) the outgoing students always created a list for the incoming 4th graders of their recommendations of Children's Classics to read.
There is nothing like hearing a child giggle aloud at their desk as they read and you know that they have just seen through Tom Sawyer's ruse to get his friends to paint that fence for him! (Oh, the fond memories of reading books with kids!)
So, if you are interested in a variety of good literature that both adults and children will enjoy, there you go!
Bye! (Hah! Couldn't resist adding in that fourth letter B!)








Hah! Of the 34 books on your list, I've read all but 7. That's 80%. Loved every one of them. // Around here (central PA) we have a lot of fieldstone barns, some Penn Dutch and a few of those overhanging Palaces. And there's one round barn, wooden, on Rte 45.
ReplyDeleteI love children's classics!
DeleteI have read ALL of those! And I have copies of many. Five Children and It started me into fantasy reads. I wonder if Judy Blume was the redacted author? She has written many great pre-teen books but does use rougher language some times. I am glad that Steinbeck's The Red Pony was not included. That book is traumatizing for horse lovers- worse than Old Yeller. Here's another suggestion- Mrs. Coverlet's Magicians. Great fun to think about these!
ReplyDeleteBetsy in WI
Actually, it was Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. As for the Red Pony, I was traumatized by it as a kid, too, like so many horse lovers. In fact, I thought about it that one awful scene in the book when I found Abby after she'd died.
Delete