Saturday, February 8, 2025

Ice, Maddox, & a HMHSB II Recipe

As I sit here at my desk, I am listening for the tell-tale click of sleet or freezing rain against my window. My weather app says it has already begun, but I just had the dogs out and we are still ice free. 

We dodged another ice storm earlier this week and I hope the same will happen today.

Hawkeye Sarah wasn't so lucky with that first storm and sent me this photo of the glaze of ice accumulating on surfaces around her home. Yeesh!!

When I was a teenager with my first horses, I was in charge of their care. Our home was at the top of a moraine, while the horses were sheltered in a ravine and pastures at the base of that moraine. I could handle getting to them when it was snowy, but I dreaded going up and down that moraine when there was ice. 

Tracks in the snow from going up and down that hill in the snow.

The paddock tucked into a ravine for shelter with the handrail and stairs I used to reach them (and fell down more than once in winter.) That's Amy, Flame, Nick, and Pokey waiting for breakfast.

I still remember having to carry water in buckets to them when the hoses and pipes were frozen. More than once I slipped and fell down those slick concrete steps, dumping water all over myself and the stairs, making them even icier.

There's still no sound of ice hitting the house yet. Here's hoping things don't get too bad today.


In Breyer news, I just checked and Maddox is still available.



Collectors have been unhappy and complained in the past that too few of the offerings like this are made and not enough people get a chance to own one without having to pay a lot of money on the secondary market. Speculation has been that Breyer is listening and making more pieces of these special runs. But that aggravates those who prefer the rarity of the special runs and feel that the bigger number produced lowers their value.

Breyer won't ever make us all happy, but for me, while I enjoy having some rare pieces, I'd rather more people have access to the special runs. I'm glad Breyer has increased the number on them.


Finally, a question came up about the short answer questions on the HSHSB II quiz. Those can be answered in a sentence or two. The HMHSB II is supposed to be fun and none of the questions are intended to be too difficult or taxing. Please don't lose sleep over preparing for them!

Need a yummy main dish for tomorrow? Here's a really good recipe from Craig's mom, Phyllis. It will fill your home with delicious smells.


I sometimes vary the amount of meat or the celery or onions and it still tastes great. Simmer it in a crock pot all day and then serve on buns. Your family or guests will thank you!


Tomorrow is Super Bowl Day! I will post the quiz around 8:00 AM Eastern. 

Stay 'tooned!




1 comment:

  1. I remember how much fun last years Super Bowl quiz was, even though I pretty much just 'winged' it. This year, I've been re-reading some of the books you listed but since I only own about half of them, there's still a 'winging' it aspect. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete