Monday, October 15, 2018

The Rearranged Shelves

I spent the early part of this month rearranging my models (and doing the obligatory dusting that happens when you begin shuffling large amounts of pieces around.) I said I would post pictures of the end result, but I began a sewing project that day and hauled out all my sewing things, the ironing board and generally made a mess. I am still working on that sewing project, but I decided I would go ahead and post pictures of the rearranged shelves anyway. Just ignore the sewing stuff, okay?

Here is a link to a previous blog post with photos as to how the shelves looked before I rearranged: before view. I guess did have my sewing machine out - I've been working on this sewing project longer than I remembered.
 I wanted to get rid of my smaller shelves that were really for DVD and CD storage so I took out the one beside my desk. (Of course, that blank wall makes me want to buy a set of traditional-sized shelves and pop it into that space now...)
 The Running Mares are all together on the top of the shelves along with their foals. The Stud Spider pieces are in a new place as are the Phar Laps. All the Hartlands, with the exception of the woodcuts, are now in tubs and in storage.
The Jumping Horses and Pacers are in a new spot, and if you look closely behind the Quarter Horse Yearlings, you can just see my Breyer Boxer Clock. (I'll post about it tomorrow.)
I didn't do it deliberately as I was just looking for chunks of space to put congas as I rearranged, but there is a contiguous "circle of mares" across the tops of the shelves - Running Mares/Foals, PAMs, the Thoroughbred Mare and Nursing Foal, and the Indian Pony!
I tried to keep the old molds together as much as possible, but again, space concerns did not make that always possible.
I also put the Family Arab Foals away from their mothers and put them two deep on the shelf as a way of saving space.
The Thelwells (except for my in-box Breyer Kipper) were moved to where the Hartland Tiny Mites were. (The Tiny Mites are in tubs with the rest of my Hartlands.)
And most of my drafters were put together in one spot. Sadly, I still have two of the DVD/CD shelves in use - I hope to make some more changes after Christmas. Almost all of my clearware are on this shelf, too, and down low. I don't want their color fading in the sunlight, and with them placed here, the direct sun never hits them, and when it is shining through the window, they still are in shade.
 Western Horses and Ponies, Western Prancers, my Hartland clock, and Fury Prancers are all on this shelf along with the cattle and some other single pieces or mini (beginning? Hah!) congas.
 I am happy with how things turned out. (View from my office door.)
Now that I am retired, I spend a lot of time in this room - in fact, it is my favorite room in the whole house. I feel better now that all pieces are back on their shelves or packed safely into tubs for storage.

I am toying with moving all the individual shelving units into one of the spare bedrooms for book shelves and then putting up different, matching shelving.
Or, I may begin with this one bare wall and move the painting and add shelves there, then if I like the look, do the same to the rest of my office. It would be quite an undertaking, but it may also be worth the investment of time and energy.

Of course, I would have to fill those new shelves up with models...

4 comments:

  1. I could spend a lot of time in this room. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome any time! And did you see both sets of your sleigh bells? They are hanging on the small black cases of the HR Circus Ponies and other minis.

    ReplyDelete