I finally found one of my favorite pictures of Indy. It shows how unflappable and gentle he was, and how much my kids loved him.
This was taken back in the mid 1980s at our church's 4th of July BBQ with (from left) our daughters Jessica and Sarah, and Maria Voutilainen, a Finnish girl whose father, Jake, was studying at the University of Illinois. Her mama, my friend Merja, was an accomplished horsewoman and became a good friend while they were in the states.
She is still in the saddle and riding in Finland, although like me she is in her grandmothering years. Merja is on the left, and her daughter, Bella, is on the right.
I spoke with Merja yesterday via Facebook Messenger and she is still as horsey as ever. She continues to take riding lessons, although the horses in the photo above are being moved to a warmer place now that winter is coming. (I can only imagine winter in a country like Finland - brrrr!)
Thank you, Merja, for letting me use your picture and for being my friend for thirty plus years. I am so happy that you are still riding and following our shared passion for horses!


No comments:
Post a Comment