Monday, October 1, 2018

Variations: Glossy Charcoal Fighting Stallions

Glossy charcoal - my absolute favorite Breyer color ever! It can range from a light grey color (some believe that smoke is a very light charcoal), to a brownish black, a lighter black (often with a lot of shading), and then to a deep, dark black color. These two fighting stallions are good examples of the last two.
 The deep, dark black is on the right and the lighter black is on the left.
This photo shows the dark black color that Blackwell has in comparison the his lighter shelf buddy, Lucky Find.
 Isn't that shading on Lucky Find spectacular?!
The painters gave Blackwell some shading on his off side, but it is mostly lost in the sea of black surrounding it.
The black on their backs is closer in color than it is on their sides. You can almost see a hint of brown in Lucky Find's color, too, although I do not consider him to be one of the brownish black variations.
There is little to no shading on Blackwell's near side, and you can really see how black he is. (He also needs some time in the sun in order to lighten his white markings.)
 Both have bald faces and Lucky Find's front socks go higher on his forelegs.
 Lucky Find's bald face extends farther under his off eye than Blackwell's and he has a nice pink nose.
 Blackwell has a less extensive bald face and just a hint of pink on his nose.
Lucky Find has intact hoof and tail pads whereas Blackwell only has evidence that they were once there.
Normally I like dark pink hooves, but I think I like Lucky Find's soft, shell pink better than Blackwell's darker ones. (Some variations of the Fighting Stallion in this color have white hooves.)

As I said, glossy charcoal is my favorite Breyer color, and some believe smoke to actually be a charcoal variation. So, for my next variation post, I will do the Running Mare in smoke and see how it compares to these two beautiful charcoal models.

No comments:

Post a Comment