Friday, February 22, 2019

Before the Luck

Those Hartlands and the woodgrain Brahma bull that I found yesterday were good finds. More than one person commented to me that I seem to be lucky when it comes to unearthing good pieces while out antiquing. (I felt very lucky, too!)

But, for all the so-called luck, there are a lot of things that I find that I never tell anyone about, those pieces that remain behind for someone else to buy. I find far more "leave behinds" than those "lucky finds" that come home and go on my shelves.

For example, take a look at these, all found yesterday before I came across the Hartlands and the bull.
 A chalkware rearing horse.
 A super cute vintage kids' lamp (but not the Breyer or Hartland lamp I would have loved to find!)
 Some well-loved plastic models by a variety of manufacturers.
 A very expensive Made in Japan.
 Horses with chain leashes.
 A stoneware zebra with a giraffe-like neck tucked in behind an elephant.
 A resin clock - I wish it were a Breyer or Hartland clock!
 An assortment that merited a look but which were priced way too high for their condition.
 A Metlox Poppytrail stagecoach and buggy - I thought real hard about them, but left them behind.

The Hartlands were found at the end of an afternoon of antiquing. Happy with my discovery, I almost went home but decided I would continue on and finish the last rows of dealer booths. I didn't really expect to find anything more. And then, in the second to the last booth of all, there was the Brahma. Had I not persevered and seen the antique mall to the end, I would have missed him.

So, what about that luck? I really don't believe in luck, but I do believe in doing your due diligence by being thorough and keeping my eyes and ears open. Or going back to the same shops every few weeks to see if anything new and interesting has been put out for sale. (Tip: see a bit or a pair of cowboy boots in a booth? Often there will be other horsey items nearby, including model horses! Always check it out!)

I have learned that if I do my homework "before the luck," that once in a while I have a "lucky" day like I had yesterday and bring home some great finds.

It's Friday and the weekend is ahead. Good "luck" to all who are heading out to search out new pieces for their collections this weekend!





1 comment:

  1. That kid's lamp is hilarious! The poor little cow is being held by the pony so that the cowboy can brand him. Meanwhile, down below, it looks like a burglar dressed in black is about to rob a safe. :)

    ReplyDelete