Continuing on from yesterday and going to a more personal note, here is some more about Nancy Kelly's newest hobby book, Exploring the Model Horse Hobby. Thanks again to Nancy for giving me permission to post photos of the inside of her book.
What else would I bring to Nancy Falzone's gathering to share but circus ponies? When she asked me to come, she told me that I was free to bring models of any medium, so I brought a Freeman-Leidy, my Steha, two Animal Artistry pieces, a Japan, and three Hagen Renakers.
My table with my checkbook at the ready for some horse trading. (Kristina Lucas Francis had brought a few Sleeping Fords and Okaptopus and I brought home one of each.)
The Japan was my very first model ever, given to me by Santa Claus in 1963. (Santa clearly had no idea what he was starting...)
Beat up as poor Brownie is, he made it into the book. I saw his picture as I flipped though the book when it arrived, but I didn't know that his story had also been included in the text of chapter five until I had time to read more carefully.My father supported my horsey-ness until the day he died, and so I am happy to see him acknowledged here in print.
My Freeman-Leidy can be found on page 95 in chapter nine, Hobby History,
and my Hagen Renaker Adelaide on page 29 in the chapter about various ceramic horses.
Steha Leihas are difficult to find in good condition, so I counted myself lucky when I found this circus pony on eBay several years ago. (page 94) Like the Freeman-Leidy, he is a favorite of mine.
Nancy prepares to take his picture.
The photo booth was in one of Nancy Falzone's extra bedroom, and we all took turns bringing our horses back there for their turn in the booth. (You can see the Freeman-Leidy on the bed beside Nancy, and if you look closely just below the notebook, you can see Brownie's hooves and legs.)Nancy, thank you for the honor of including a few of my models, especially dear Brownie and all the tender memories he holds for me.
Tomorrow, a final post on Nancy's book with my thoughts on why I think the books is so important to the hobby at large.





I am super excited to have met with Nancy at Vintage Custom Model Equine Congress and love that she is documenting our hobby! Thank me for sharing this new book...
ReplyDeleteEr, thank *you. Not sure how autocorrect got that one. Lol
ReplyDeleteHaha! I knew what you meant! And I have had my own issues with autocorrect. :)
ReplyDelete