Saturday, February 16, 2019

The Boys, Trouble and Hokey

Last night my daughter Lisa offered to check the herd for me when school let out for the weekend. Her school is just two miles down the road from the barn and I was wrapping up a major writing project, so I agreed, asking that she take a few pictures for me so that I could see my girl.
She walked out to where they were, noticing that a strand of fencing had come down. Checking the fences daily is a good idea, especially when Trouble and Hokey are around! But this is an interior fence, and I think Tim may have been the one to take part of it down in order to open a new section of the pasture up to the herd.
Lisa's favorite is Hokey, an older Quarter Horse gelding. He is very intelligent and very friendly, and loves the scratches she gives him. Naturally he came up to see her.
 Such a cute little white snip on his nose! (That's Abby behind him.) I like Hokey, too. If Tim ever put him up for sale, I would buy him in a heartbeat.
The two boys will sometimes chase Abby off when we are visiting, so I usually carry a crop or a longe whip with me to shake at them if that happens. Lisa forgot to bring anything to shoo them off, and so the boys dominated her visit. Abby, Diablo, and Sultanna hung around the perimeter behind the boys.

The horses are weathering winter well. We have snow and ice coming through tomorrow and then again late Monday and into Tuesday.  I am ready for some spring, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment