Marney excelled at responding to the many letters hobbyists sent to her. Handwritten and lengthy, her correspondence provided a personal touch and made the recipient feel as though their thoughts were valued and questions were good ones.
That personal touch is evident in the salutation of this letter to me dated December 16, 1990. At this stage in my life, I had six children at home ages two to thirteen. I had not written Marney for a while, but had heard her book was nearing publication and had written to her asking about it. She responded:
She also knew that I was friends with Ellen and Simi and included a quick update on them before giving me an in-depth response to the question I had asked.
Sadly, at the end she mentioned that she had retired Congress and was slowing down and moving on to dog showing after the book was published.
Recently I interviewed Kerri Gehrmann Johnson, founder of the Great Lakes Breyer Registry/Great Lakes Congress, the longest running show series in the hobby. It is celebrating its 35th anniversary this year, and I am writing a history of the club to celebrate its longevity and document its history.
In our interview, Kerri mentioned Marney and the personal support she received from her when she joined the hobby. Typical Marney, she took Kerri under her wing and mentored her via phone calls, letters, and in-person visits. Kerri even shadowed judges at Marney's show, Model Horse Congress, and then, when she was ready to host her own show (the first GLBR), Marney helped her plan it. When GLBR was incorporated, the name was changed to Great Lakes Congress as a nod to Marney, her show, and the help she had given to Kerri personally throughout many years of friendship.
Linda Walter called Marney, "the mother of model horse showing," and that is an apt description. Truly, Marney is the third pillar of our hobby, building upon the foundation that Ellen and Simi had begun in the earliest days of our hobby, and taking it to new heights.
The fourth pillar? Linda Walter herself. We'll take a look at her tomorrow.



Very Nice! I was fortunate to have met her and show at Congress as a budding hobbyist. Was going to mention Linda, and now I see it unfolding... Thanks again!
ReplyDeleteI still have letters from Marney. She was instrumental to the hobby as a whole, even if she disagreed with me about jewels in Western Show Halters...!
ReplyDelete