Recently a friend who knows my love of circus horses found a Remco Circus Liberty Horse and offered it to me in trade for a haversack.
I had one of these when I was a kid, and played with it until it was in pretty bad shape. (I think I still have it tucked away in a box.)
Photo from Google Images.
The kit was distributed in 1969 so this is an old piece - no surprise that its glue is yellowing. (I'm kind of surprised that the plastic isn't yellower, too.)
The one my friend found has been well loved, too.
It needs some time with Dawn dishwashing liquid and I may even wash its mane and tail, too. (It's fake fur on a mesh fabric base and I have some just like it in my sewing stash. I will try hand washing some of that first.)
Someone in the past decided to hot glue it to the base. That's not necessarily a bad idea, but they didn't get the pegs down into the base's holes all the way when they applied the hot glue. As a result, the model lists to one side.
The Recmo Circus Liberty Horse is about the same size as a traditional Breyer so it won't be a problem to fit it on my shelves.
Thanks, Betsy, for thinking of me when you found this guy - I'll take good care of him!
What an awesome piece of history! I never saw these as a kid but there were similar models, by Aurora I think. Memories...
ReplyDeleteI had the circus horse, and there was another one - same mold, but solid black - that was a knight’s charger. Geez, I wonder whatever happened to them?!
ReplyDeleteThere was also a brown one - maybe a cavalry horse?
Delete