Sunday, July 3, 2022

Horses, Fabric, Music - What a Connection!

Recently I found this lovely fabric and made some haversacks from it. 


Isn't it gorgeous? It reminds me of the ocean and combines three things that I enjoy: horses, fabric, and music.


Wondering how this fabric could remind me of music? Well, when I was teaching, I wrote and taught a unit about the world's oceans and incorporated art into it. (Gyotaku, music, and more.)

Gyotaku in the form of octopus prints drying on the floor of my classroom.

While teaching my Oceans unit, I would play Camille Saint-Saens' Aquarium from his masterpiece, The Carnivale of the Animals. If you have never heard this piece, then you really should take a listen. 


It's only two minutes long but it is one of the most hauntingly beautiful pieces of music I have ever heard.


I hadn't listened to Aquarium for a while. Glad that this fabric moved me to do so. And 
I hope you enjoyed it, too.



2 comments:

  1. I've been congratulating myself on not having to pick a favorite fabric of yours. And then the orange version of this went by, and I fell. It is wonderful to get to know it more deeply, even if this is the blue morph. Yes I did listen! ... thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That orange is so striking! And the blue is ethereal. Love to see how it looks in other colors.

    ReplyDelete