Friday, January 26, 2024

Caught Kissing an Old Friend

I continue to work my way around the horse room, cleaning, culling, and reorganizing. I'm making progress and finished two more shelving units yesterday.


Craig popped in late in the afternoon and took some pictures of the process.


I was working on my Man O'War conga, which includes one of my carpet herd models. I have three of the original Man O'Wars and he is one of them. I got a little cocky and said to Craig, "I know my carpet herd members so well, I can pull them off the shelf without even checking their tags. Wanna see?"


And I pulled the middle horse of the three off the shelf.


Bingo! There is my lovely Man O'War from 1968, still with me and staying with me for life.


I think I startled Craig when I kissed it, but I explained that all carpet herd members get a kiss when I put them back on their shelf. (Often when I pull them off, too.)


Gosh, the memories those carpet herd pieces bring back! I had a green bareback pad for him that my early hobby friend, Sue Seese, made me. I still have it in my box of early tack that's stored away for safe keeping.

Never has it taken me so long to dust my collection, but it's not just because of the number of models. A lot of it is simply enjoying interacting with some old friends and checking them to see how they are faring as, like me, they age.

So far, we are all in pretty good shape.

---

FOR SALE: 1990s Misty in box, $25


The clear plastic on the box is yellowed and there is a small crack on one side in the seam. (Hard to photograph but see picture below.) Hooves are pinker than those on my other Mistys.


A 1996 Breyer catalog and a JAH flier came with her in the box and are still in there.


The hard to see crack which doesn't photograph well. Small, but there.

Interested? Contact me at horsiemama8@gmail.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment