Saturday, January 13, 2024

Chilly Winds are Blowing

The storm has begun. The snow is falling and those winds truly are howling. Look at how it blows the snow that is coming down in this video that I filmed early this morning. (The non-wind sounds you hear are Pepper shaking her collar and the front door opening. She did not like those winds!)

Already power lines are down in town, and the temperatures are in the teens and dropping. Wind chill at the moment is -6. 

Those winds were so strong last night that, as I was getting ready for bed, I heard a bang in the laundry room. I went to investigate and the door between the garage and the laundry room had suddenly blown open!


The winds were really blowing hard when I got up this morning, and Pepper wasn't too excited about going outside, front or back yard.


But while she was warm and out of the blowing snow indoors, she couldn't escape the sound of those winter winds.


I found these winds pretty distracting myself. (Plus they REALLY made me want some hot chocolate.)

Yesterday afternoon I went out to the barn to check the horses before the storm blew in. They were fine and munching hay, and they had the old barn and the loafing shed to choose from for shelter when the weather turned. Tim was coming home that day, too, and would resume his daily checks. (Nothing like coming home from a nice, sunny cruise to this weather!)

Meanwhile, Hawkeye Sarah reported that they got another 5 inches of snow yesterday (they're at 20+ inches currently), and that all of Iowa was essentially closed down. 


The view from Sarah's front door in Iowa City.

She was concerned because Todd had had to attend a surgery up in Mason City in the northern part of the state and was fighting his way home through the blizzard. (He did make it home late last night, thank goodness.)

A snowstorm is a good time to work on indoor projects. 


I've been pulling models to sell,


and gathering various packing supplies to cushion them.


Local Son Curt and Teacher Daughter Lisa have been coming through on my (near frantic) request for "Boxes! I need boxes!" (Note to self: before you announce that you are selling a bunch of models, be sure you check your box supply first.)


I've been in the sewing room, too, preparing for The Kalamazoo Living History Show in March.


My current focus is restocking my supply of 18th century chemises. 


They sell well as you can see here by the empty wooden hanger - the show had not even opened to the public yet as we were still setting up.

I sold all but one of my chemises at The Feast of the Hunters' Moon in October, and I like to have at least one of every size available to customers at shows. I will finish the last of the re-stocking chemises today and next week will begin making woolen capes. I haven't made a cape in a long time and am really looking forward to it.

As for Horsiemama's Haversacks & Mercantile, it is in good shape, and not requiring "snowstorm attention."


I spent November and December sewing haversacks like crazy, so I feel well prepared for my first model horse event of 2024, the Great Lakes Congress show in March.

Off to make that hot chocolate and head on in to the sewing room and watch the flakes fly as I stitch.


Don't forget the Give Away! Enter by commenting on a post (one comment per post per day) or by emailing me at horsiemama8@gmail.com with your comment. Commenting ends Sunday, January 14 at 11:59 PM.


3 comments:

  1. Here on the East coast, we're getting pummeled by the winds too but as of yet, no snow - just rain. Still, a cup of hot chocolate does sound good, peppermint hot chocolate for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is just windy and getting cold here in ohio. Iowa looks miserable for your daughter and family. Glad her husband made it home safe. Keep busy on your projects, I need to do model sorting myself. I still love the fawn so adding my name to the drawing today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh mna, hope Craig is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete