Monday, March 11, 2024

Where are the Horses, Lynn?

Recently when I've sat down to write the day's blog post, I've been a little concerned. The content is not very horsey at the moment and I am very aware of that. 

My guess is that some of you are, too. After all, the name of the blog is HORSIEmama. Not TeachinMama (I have that blog already), or SewinMama (that, too, although under a different name) or even DoggieMama ( um, yes, there's a dog blog, too.) 

This is HORSIEmama, so where are the horses?

Well, the horsey things are happening - I actually have four projects going on at the moment, but I can't say anything about them yet.

So, my daily dilemma is figuring out what I can share that's going on in my life (Horsiemama and Teachinmama both began and still function as my personal journals) without breaking any confidences.

Me on my beloved first horse, Amy, riding with just a halter and lead rope along the Wabash River in the mid 1970s. Boy, those were the days!

Writing about Abby and the herd has been difficult, too. (Winter always is.) I struggle with balance issues and walking way out to the hay rack over snowy or muddy uneven ground is not something I want to do. If Abby's up closer to the new barn, then we get to visit and I can get some blog posts out of that. But if she isn't, then I don't, at least not until the ground dries up and I am better able to walk. (I wrote a little about this and my use of a wheelchair a few weeks ago.)

So, I hope you will stick with me in this seemingly "horse drought." I promise I will share some fun things as soon as I can.

In the meantime, it's Kalamazoo week - I have an English gown to finish, stock to inventory and pack, and a host of other things to prepare for the upcoming immersion into living history. 

Enjoy this song about Kalamazoo by Glenn Miller and his orchestra in the 1940s. The lyrics begin at 1:02. (Wouldn't "Pipperoo" be a great name for a model pony?)


Gotta love that Big Band era swing!

-- 

Entries for the March give away of maple cakes end tonight at 11:59 PM Eastern time! To enter, post a comment!





5 comments:

  1. Oh the photo of you and Amy is just pure horse girl joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riding with just a halter and lead rope...incredible! What a well matched duo you must have been. Those were the days.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my old Arabian mare, Lacey, got into her late, late 20s my husband would do that, throw a leg over with just halter and lead rope. I honestly think Lacey appreciated not having all the tack on her, and she would go wherever he asked like an angel. How we miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I struggle with this on my blog sometimes as well, although it's more of a "Ugh! Too many real horse posts and not enough models." Fortunately, I've been doing this long enough to know that the pendulum will swing back eventually, for me and for you. In the meantime, I know I'm happy to read about whatever is filling your days be it dogs (my favorite), sewing, family, whatever...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your posts here are always so well written and a joy to read, I can’t imagine how you manage multiple blogs. You must love writing!

    ReplyDelete