Sunday, June 16, 2024

Father's Day, Heat, & the End of the Bolt

 Happy Father's Day!

We are having a quiet Father's Day this year. Lisa is coming here for dinner while Curt will spend the day being feted by his family. Craig has asked for his favorite comfort food  - porcupine meatballs, mashed potatoes, broccoli, salad, and watermelon. To top it off? Homemade lemon meringue pie!

The heat is on here in Indiana. And along with the heat is an air quality warning - the ozone levels are in the unhealthy range. This is expected to last most of the coming week. I plan to head to church this morning and then stay indoors the rest of the day.

Most likely it will be keeping me indoors all week. I'll water my flowers early and get the dogs walked, but then I'll be inside most of the day. That time will be used to sew.

I just hit a sort of sewing "milestone." I came to the end of a 50 yard bolt of fabric!


When that huge bolt of fabric was delivered, I wondered, "What have I done? I'll never use all this!" It took me two years, but I did it. Yesterday I cut three women's caps from it and that was the end - only a few scraps are left.


Me wearing a woman's cap I'd made from that bolt of fabric. (The woman is a teacher I'd taught with in Illinois.)


I also made four chemises (this is a sleeve) from the last of it. There is no more of that bolt of fabric left - it's all gone. It is no longer available to buy, either, but I do have a 10 yard bolt of white cotton from another source ready to go. (Obviously, I use a lot of white cotton!) 


I also finished two wool pockets last week.


In the 18th century, pockets were not set into your clothing, they were separate items of clothing and tied around your waist.


Women wore them under their petticoats which had an access slit in them so a woman could slide her hand inside to get to the pocket. 


Those pockets were made from remnants from the blue wool that I made this cloak out of last winter. 

Well, I gotta scoot - that lemon meringue pie needs to be made sooner rather than later.


Happy Father's Day, Craig!


There is no one I'd rather go through life with than you and our children!


2 comments:

  1. Oooh so that’s where the term “pocketbook” comes from??

    Happy Father’s Day!

    ReplyDelete