Sunday, June 2, 2024

Pairs o' Ponies

The chestnut Designer's Workshop Head Up and Head Down Ponies came in one other color.


Matte or gloss white.


My Head Down Pony is the matte version and he has bi-eyes.


Both the chestnut and the white versions were produced 1981 - 1984.


This pony has some very light grey shading that is difficult to photograph but you can see a bit of it here.


This pair has been in my collection since the 1990s.


The Head Up Pony in my collection is the gloss white version.


No bi-eyes for this boy. 


His eyes are a simple but very luminous shade of black.


I like glossies, both in Breyer and Hagen Renaker pieces, but in the case of these two ponies, I much prefer the matte.


Both colors of the Head Down Ponies have bi-eyes. 


The Head Up Ponies' eyes differ. I'd love to see a picture of the white version with bi-eyes and in matte. And I'd love to see its Head Down counterpart with the luminous eye and gloss. (This is how variation collecting gets started.)


I may do some searching for those variations but I am in no rush.


I'm happy with what I have. Although I am still looking for the Stablemate sized mini ponies in the chestnut color (1956 - 1957) and the Head Up mini in calico. (2010 - 2021)

Oh, and the Head Up Circus Pony in blue and yellow harnesses and the Head Down Circus Pony in maroon and lime green harnesses. And don't forget the variations on the harnesses with the scalloped or smooth harnesses, the red dot on the bit in the white and black versions, the variation in the shades of the maroon harnesses, and...

More Pairs o' Ponies tomorrow. Stay 'tooned!



7 comments:

  1. and, and, and........😂We are hopeless/helpless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great excuse, isn't it!! :D

      Delete
  2. I have no idea if the price is good but I just spied the head up calico on etsy and had to dig back a few days to where you'd mentioned you were looking for specific variations. I notice this shop selling Hagen Renakers a lot so even if I'm wrong about this being one you're looking for the shop owner might have a line on what you are. AJG
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/1434797496/retired-hagen-renaker-mini-314-calico

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then I kept browsing etsy because I'm not sleeping and ran across the lime green head down guy https://www.etsy.com/listing/1351514491/vintage-hagen-renaker-miniature-circus though his price is considerably higher than the calico. I've no idea if the prices of either one is fair, and if not I'll try to keep an eye out if I spot them at better prices in future but happy hunting, Lynn!

      Delete
    2. AJG, thank you so much for the links! Both are good prices IMO. Appreciate you keeping a look out for me!

      Delete
    3. No problem, Lynn, I browse etsy a lot for various hobby stuff, both model horse and yarn and their search engine is...well, let's go with weird. Very weird. But sometimes it works in my favor and I find that perfect item I didn't know I was looking for and sometimes I stumble across amazing gift ideas for birthdays and Christmas and sometimes I feel like eye bleach is appropriate. Last night was the happy accident, I never would have thought twice about the calico head up except for reading your blog and wondering to myself what a calico horse would look like as the owner of a calico cat or two, though the real kind, not the glazed and fired kind lol. When he popped up in my suggestions with a bunch of yarn I'd already favorited it seemed serendipitous. I can only assume that clicking on him and copying the link is what led to the second hit during a search for 1:9 breyer tack. Like I said, it's a weird search engine.

      Delete