Monday, December 23, 2024

A Day of Waiting

When you are a kid, waiting for big things like your birthday or Christmas seems to take FOREVER. But that's nothing compared to when you are an adult and waiting for your kids to come home for Christmas!


Craig made cheesy potato soup and I baked four loaves of challah bread, a family favorite since our kids were little. (Recipe here.)

And then we waited. Updates kept coming through our family's group chat.


The Tennessee Isenbargers (and dog Henry) on the way!

 
The Utah and Iowa contingent. Kyle (white hat) and Trinity with the far black car, Sarah (front, in green) whose car is the middle white car, and Andrew and Jessica (closest black vehicle.) The Utah cars drove together across Utah, Wyoming, and Nebraska, stopped to sleep in Iowa at Sarah and Todd's, and then together they all continued on to our home in Indiana.


They're here!!

It was a joyous reunion when were were finally all together.


Tammo was ecstatic to see Kyle, Melissa, and Whitney (not pictured.) Look at his big, ol' doggy smile! Whitney had asked me to do something special with him for her arrival hence the bandana.


The cousins were delighted to see each other - it had been a long time since the wedding last August! (Whitney, Titan, Lukas, and Mila on the overlook, Ian and Craig down below.)


The soup and bread began disappearing. Sarah, Lisa (who is still moving slowly post op), Kyle, Melissa, Andrew, Curt, and Jessica.


Some people get out their best dishes when company comes - I pull out the Rudolph plates and glasses. Titan, Mila, Whitney, Lukas, and Vanessa. 


Vanessa surprised me with an early Christmas lift - Santa earrings that matched hers and that her friend made me!

The Tennessee Isenbargers, the JCs^2, flying into Chicago), and Todd arrived a bit later. Twenty five people and five dogs crammed into the house - it was awesome. 

I crashed in bed shortly after that and got no more pictures. 


Kate's up early with me as I write at the kitchen table - look at the yummy breakfast she cooked herself!
 
The rest of the house is stirring; gotta scoot.

Stay 'tooned!


2 comments:

  1. Over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's (and Grandfather's) house we go! Safe travels everyone and I look forward to seeing the celebrations. Please do post a video of your family singing at some point, as it was so beautiful two years ago.

    By the way, the tea towel is here, and I love it! Thanks so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet the kids are so excited! I remember Christmas at Grandma's in Kansas, even tho we only totalled 8 cousins. We took over the front room, making a Barbie and Breyer town! Tim and I are by ourselves this year... daughter and SIL in their RV in FL and son and DIL at her dad's most recent mega mansion in the foothills near Castle Rock. We will celebrate on one of the 12 days after...

    ReplyDelete